Colonic hygiene: What you can do
Colonic hygiene can take several forms: There are digestive measures, detoxification measures as well as cures and enemas.
- Ensure a sufficient fiber intake through your daily diet
- Have light weighted belly massages, clock-wise – even 2-3 min will do you great
- Avoid eating on a “working” stomach (it takes 2h to digest a proper meal)
- Boost your digestion with specific plants or Epsom salt, best taken in the morning on an empty stomach
- If rather constipated, you can take 1-2 table spoons of soaked flax or lin seeds with warm water in the morning; these seeds continue to increase in volume once ingested so be sure to drink enough water. However, should you have real problems with your transit (eg only twice or once a week) and this method does not speed up the process within a couple of days, please notice that you should not take lin seeds because they may deter your situation. In this case, please try Nigari – magnesium chloride extracted from sea water. You take 1-2 tea spoons in the morning with some water. However in case of such severe constipation, I always recommend to consult a professional health care provider.
- First thing in the morning, drink a large glass of warm water, you may add lemon juice or boil it with some ginger slices
- Swish in your mouth some sunflower oilor sesame oil in the morning (3-5min) and spit it out (never swallow!): it releases toxins from your tongue
- Perform liver cleansing programs
- Take specific food supplements (eg Desmodium, Black Radish, Artichokes, Birch tree juice…)
- Take “colon-friendly” plants (eg Lapacho, uncaria tomentosan, aloe vera) or food supplements over a given period of time
- Add “colon-healthy” aliments like goat or sheep yoghurt (no cow milk!), lacto fermented vegetables juices, kefir, “Brottrunk”
- Do a cure with fiber-rich, indigestible plants(e.g. psyllium seed husk or ispaghula)
- Fast: if you are not accustomed to it, you can just have 1 day of mono-diet a week. You should have only one aliment through-out the day, e.g. vegetable juices or vegetables (carrots, pumpkin, parsnip, apples, grapes…). If you want to give it a try, please opt for organic food
- Enemas consist of introducing a liquid, often water, into the rectum in order to expel its contents. You can practice enemas at home, introducing 1-2 liters of water into the rectum. You can use water, chamomile or fennel tee. The cleansing effect will do you great, however its reach is limited to the rectum it-self. Colon Hydrotherapy is the most complete form of enemas reaching through-out the complete colon. You can find detailed information in the next chapter
- Yogi style gastrointestinal cleansing: These are ancient cleansing methods consisting in drinking large quantities of salty water. Some appropriate yoga positions help to make the water pass quickly through your complete gastro-intestinal system. There is the big cleansing, called “Shank Prakshalana”, and a small cleansing, called “Lagoo Shank Prakshalana”. Dr C.T. Schaller MD provides a short instruction in his book on intestinal hygiene (cf Literature section).